A unique opportunity to acquire a substantial Grade I listed hall, which over the course of the last eight years or so has been completely restored. The net result is a beautifully presented home offering excellent family accommodation together with a separate cottage, barn, stables, grounds, tennis court and beautiful Grade II listed walled gardens. AMENITIES Stunning formal Grade II listed walled gardens; two bedroom cottage with adjoining barn offering great potential; two stables; single garage; double garage; all weather tennis court; two-storey stone built pavilion; timber construction garden gazebo; terrace; knot garden; reflection pool; outside cloakroom for gardeners/guests; garden lighting; stone built store; large covered log store; gravelled driveway offering further parking; medieval pond; orchard; grazing land extending to approx. 6 acres.
GROUND FLOOR The house is approached through the original arched wooden gates, with the pavilion to your left, leading to a stone flagged pathway, flanked to one side by the knot garden, and up to a substantial oak front door which opens into: Entrance hall: With stone flagged floor, beamed ceiling and rear staircase to first floor. Inner hall: Laid to limestone tiles with underfloor heating and main staircase rising to first floor. Oak doors opening into drawing room, sitting room, cloakroom and out to the garden. Drawing room: Featuring the original oak panelling, a working fireplace with stone surround and stone mullioned windows with leaded lights. Sitting room: Further fine oak panelling with concealed cupboard, stone fireplace and mullioned windows. Rear hallway: Fitted cupboard and door out to driveway and large covered log store. Doors to the dining room and breakfast room. Dining room: Partially panelled with concealed cupboard, imposing stone fire surround: window seat under the mullioned windows with leaded lights. Breakfast room: With small, attractive stone fireplace and window overlooking the driveway. Kitchen: Hand built Chalon kitchen, fully fitted with a range of floor units finished with ‘distressed’ paint effect and incorporating integrated dishwasher and granite worktops. Large central island, freestanding cupboard unit incorporating large fridge and space for microwave oven. Oil fired ‘AGA’ with adjacent professional cooker with oven, gas hob and hot plate all set into a large fireplace with polished limestone mantle. Original stone salting tray. Dual aspect with windows overlooking the garden and the drive. Larder: With fitted shelving. Utility room: Handmade, beautifully crafted wooden units and large work surface with storage and plumbing for washing machine and dryer below. Door to rear garden. Cloakroom: With wc and wash stand, concealed door into large boiler room with two gas fired boilers and pressurised hot water system. Cellars: Accessed off the main hall via stone steps and a solid oak door.
FIRST AND SECOND FLOORS The main staircase rises to a large landing with two secondary staircases to the second floor. Large walk-in linen cupboard. First floor Master bedroom suite: Comprising bedroom with carved stone fireplace, mullioned windows and window seat. Door leading into first dressing room with original stone window frame, and leading into: Bathroom: Full suite comprising bath, wc, two wash hand basins and large shower cubicle. Door to second, larger dressing room. Two further bedrooms: Both good double bedrooms featuring oak panelling and overlooking the front garden. Guest bathroom: Full suite comprising bath, wc, washstand and separate shower cubicle. Bedroom/study: Adjacent to the master bedroom and currently used as a study. Bedroom/sitting room: Set up as a sitting room but could easily be a bedroom. Second floor Three large double bedrooms: All featuring attractive, oringinal exposed roof trusses and beams. Family bathroom: Full suite comprising free standing roll top bath, wc and twin wash hand basins set in vanity unit.
WALLED GARDEN AND GROUNDS The gardens and grounds extend to approximately 7.4 acres. The gardens are enclosed by a substantial stone wall and are mainly laid to immaculate lawned areas with gravelled and stone flagged walkways flanked by some fine, mature yew hedging, lavender beds and plantings of a variety of semi-mature trees, shrubs and yew topiary. To the front of the house is a knot garden and to the rear a large terrace flanked to one side by a newly constructed carp pond. To one corner of the garden is a timber constructed gazebo with recessed uplighters. Stone steps lead down to a lawned area with further yew topiary and a line of pergolas planted with climbing roses, at one end of which is a seating area recessed into the wall. To the front of the house are two paddocks, to the side an orchard and to the rear a further potential paddock at whose extremity is a former moat. There is a rear driveway giving access to the tennis court.
ACCOMMODATION IN THE COTTAGE Comprising: sitting room; kitchen/dining room; cloakroom; large storage cupboard; two double bedrooms; bathroom
Described by Pesvner as ‘a gem of an Elizabethan Manor House’. At the time of the Domesday book, in 1086, Snitterton was part of the King’s Manor of Matlock and by the early twelfth century was held by Fulcher, second son of Sewalls of Ettington, founder of the Shirley and Ireton families. It is believed that the probable date of the current house is around 1631 and it may well have been built by Col John Milward. Milward was well-connected, ambitious and styled his house to reflect this. Constructed from Ashover Grit from Oaker Hill (which lies half a mile to the North of the house), the ashlar south front is the epitome of small-scale Jacobean architecture, with two cross wings, straight coped gables and a four bay recessed centre of two storeys under the embattled parapet. The main fenestration consists of six-light mullioned and transomed windows, paired on both main storeys of the gable and to the right of the entrance, which has cross windows above and to its left. The attic windows are eight-light variants, and all depend from straight courses. The other serious reflection of the age of Classicism is the doorcase, an attractive Ionic affair having much in common with a somewhat earlier one at Aston Hall. On his death in 1670 Milward left the estate to his third (only surviving son) Henry and a life interest in part of the Snitterton lands to the natural son of the eldest son, John, who had died the year before without legitimate issue. This was George, on whose death in 1711 without issue, it reverted to Henry Fearne of Parwich, who had purchased the remainder from Henry Milward’s heir, Charles Adderley, married to his sister Felicia. He was the son of Sir Charles Adderley of Hams Hall, Warwickshire. Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Fearne, married Edmund Tudor of Stoke Rochford whose descendant in the fourth generation, Edmund died in 1903, leaving it in the hands of Trustees, who eventually sold it to the McCreagh-Thornhills. It was let as a farm from 1816 throughout the nineteenth century. It was then the home of Col. B.G. Davie (married to the heiress), who sold it to the Bagshawes when he inherited Stanton Hall. Francis, sister and heiress of W.M.C Bagshawe brought it to Ernest Carver, who assumed the surname and arms of Bagshawe and on his death in 1936, it came to Maj. Francis Ernest Gisborne Bagshawe, on the death of whose widow in November 1986, it was placed on the market. Our clients acquired the hall in 1997 and embarked upon a full and extensive restoration of the property.