A 6 bedroom detached house in Ashover, Derbyshire with extensive outbuildings, gardens and land.
A well presented freehold family house which is currently in use as a headquarters office building but which has consent to revert to full residential. The property retains many original features including working shutters, fine ceiling mouldings and egg and dart cornice work. The house has a good range of stone buildings and garages to the rear.
A pair of stone gateposts lead to a large area of parking to the front of the house.
Ground floor: The front door opens into a large reception hall leading to an inner staircase hall with cupola over the wide staircase and a large cloakroom/W.C. off. The drawing room is dual aspect with a fine wood fireplace and a wide bay window with double doors opening onto the garden. The dining room is a well-proportioned room with fireplace and built-in low level cupboards with display shelving above, a door leads through to a large reception room, currently a board room, but suitable as further sitting room or potential billiard room, a door from this room gives access into the office building behind. To the front is a further substantial sitting room with two windows overlooking the front garden, adjacent is a large study with built-in cupboards. To the rear of the house is a good sized kitchen/breakfast room with four oven AGA and various built-in units. This leads to a rear lobby with utility room off. Also to the rear are two further store rooms and a small study.
First floor: The large landing gives access to the potential master bedroom suite comprising large, dual aspect bedroom with fitted cupboards, a dressing room and a further bedroom which could be converted into a bathroom. To the side of the house are two further double bedrooms, a large walk-in cupboard, with to one side a cloakroom block, this could all combine to make a good family bathroom. An inner landing leads to a further large double bedroom with bathroom and store across the landing. Finally there is another large double bedroom with a good sized room off which would make a further bathroom.
Stone office building: Situated directly behind the main house, a large entrance hall has 'his and hers' cloakrooms off. Steps lead up to a smaller office which then has stairs down into a more substantial office with store room off, to the front is a board room. To the first floor are two further office rooms and a kitchen/breakfast room. This would easily convert to make additional accommodation.
Flat: To the rear of the office building is a covered store opening into a stable and at the back of the building is a door into a self-contained flat with to the ground floor a kitchen/breakfast room and to the first floor two bedrooms, a bathroom and sitting room.
Further stone buildings: One of which has a double and a single garage and two large stores. The other building is two storey with to the ground floor six stables and a garage/machine store with to the first floor a large store room.
Gardens and grounds: The house sits in approximately 4.3 acres of beautifully manicured gardens with large areas of lawn interspersed with well stocked borders and a plethora of mature shrubs, plants and trees, there is also a substantial walled garden which is now overgrown and in need of some tender love and care. Further land includes an area of woodland, approximately 1.58 acres, a small top paddock, approximately 0.57 acres, top strip of wood approximately. 0.54 acres and a large top paddock extending to approximately 6.15 acres. In all there is approximately 13.14 acres. A further 39.59 acres is currently held on an agricultural tenancy in favour of Mr Fearn at an annual rent of £2,800.
Main house: Reception hall; staircase hall; drawing room; dining room; board-room; sitting room; two studies; kitchen/breakfast room; two cloakrooms; utility room; master bedroom with dressing room and further bedroom/potential bathroom; guest bedroom with dressing room/potential bathroom; three further double bedrooms; bathroom; store room; large cloakroom/potential bathroom.
Office building (currently): Entrance hall; board-room; four offices; kitchen/breakfast room; store; two cloakrooms.
Self-contained flat: Entrance hall; kitchen/breakfast room; sitting room; two bedrooms; bathroom.
Extensive off road parking both to the front of the house and courtyard to the rear; covered two berth car port; two stores; stone building one comprising double and single garage, two large workshop/stores; stone building two comprising: six stables and large machine garage to ground floor with large store room to first floor.
Gardens: Extensive gardens surrounding the property; walled garden and paddocks extending to approximately 13.14 acres; further pasture land subject to agricultural tenancy extending to approximately 39.59 acres; in all approximately 52.74 acres.
Stubben Edge Hall is a late Georgian two-storey house of Ashover gritstone construction which was remodelled in 1831 and improved around the core of an earlier seventeenth century building. The family of Stubbing had had a house on the site since before 1319 and resided there until the fifteenth century when it passed to the Criche family. After several subsequent owners it passed to the Milnes family in 1820, whose son, William Milnes III, was largely responsible for the alterations to the Hall. In 1874 the Hall and its extensive estate was purchased by General Jackson's grandfather, Sir William Jackson, on behalf of his son John Peter Jackson. In August 1921 the property was taken over by the Sheffield Works Convalescent Association and was formally opened under its new guise by the Duke of Devonshire on 20th July 1922. From 1962 it was owned by Major David Kenning of the Kenning Group of Motor Companies before passing to our client.