An elegant Grade II listed early nineteenth century house presented in very good order set in beautiful, mature grounds and with a fine Grade II listed Coach House, a range of domestic and agricultural outbuildings offering stabling and storage and pasture land extending to approximately 31.4 acres.
Middleton Hall is a fine example of an early nineteenth century house, it is Grade II listed and constructed of Ashlar gritstone under a twin hipped Welsh slated roof hidden by a parapet and with centre ridge stacks, each with four linked octagonal stone chimneys. The property is approached from the village through a pair of square Ashlar gateposts and ornamental Grade II listed iron gates then up the gravelled drive which splits and leads to the front of the house and also to the coach house and beyond to the garaging to the rear.
Ground floor: A substantial studded oak front door opens into the reception hall with stone floor and fireplace with wood-burner and sweeping staircase to the first floor. The drawing room is an elegant dual aspect room with fine ceiling cornice work and carved wood fireplace with open grate. The dining room is opposite the drawing room and has high ceilings, ebony parquet flooring, fine ceiling cornice work, a wood fireplace and windows overlooking the garden. The sitting room is to the rear of the house and overlooks the patio, a pair of double doors open into the billiard room which is a grand room with double French doors onto the garden and a further window, there is a stone fireplace with open grate. The kitchen/breakfast room is by Clive Christian and has a good range of wall and base units, a large central island and extensive granite worktops. The kitchen has a navy blue four oven oil fired AGA set into a faux fire surround, a range of Miele appliances including coffee machine, integrated dishwasher and combi oven. The breakfast area is set into the bay window overlooking the garden. A door leads through into the former breakfast room now used as an office with fitted cupboards. The inner hallway has the rear staircase and a back door leading out to a courtyard. The large utility/boot room has a red and black quarry tiled floor, a four oven AGA set in stone fire surround, a Belfast sink with wood drainers, a large glass fronted store/display cabinet and a door into a pantry with stone thralls. There is a cloakroom off with W.C. and hand basin.
First floor: Large landing with two useful cupboards off. The master bedroom is dual aspect with lovely views of the garden and has a large en suite bathroom off with full suite comprising bath set in marble top with mirror surrounds, separate shower, W.C. and twin hand basins set in vanity unit with mirrors over. A double bedroom overlooks the patio with a fitted cupboard. The inner landing leads to principal guest suite comprising lobby with fitted cupboards, double bedroom with Hoptonwood stone fireplace and en suite shower room with shower, hand basin and W.C. and there is a further double bedroom with attractive fireplace, two steps down into fully fitted bathroom with roll top enamel bath, separate shower, W.C. and hand basin. Rear landing leads to the wing which has to staircases up to the attic. There is a further guest suite comprising sitting room with stone fireplace, double bedroom overlooking the garden and an en suite shower room with shower cubicle, hand basin and W.C. To the rear is a further bedroom.
Second floor: In two sections, one with two good attic rooms currently used for storage, the other with two bedrooms and a further large storeroom.
Cellars: The cellars are extensive with good storage space, a wine cellar and a large boiler room with new oil-fired boiler and two pressurized hot water cylinders.
Gardens: The delightful gardens create a wonderful setting for the Hall and extend principally to the east and south with an attractive semi-formal garden to the north. There are sweeping lawns interspersed with an array of mature shrubs and trees including cherry, willow, ash and oak, and are also planted with marvellous displays of crocuses and daffodils. To the south a stone flagged terrace has two sunken hexagonal ponds and some beautiful climbers including wisteria, roses and hydrangeas. There is a small courtyard at the back of the house with a wood shed to one side and other useful domestic outbuildings used for tool and bin storage, a dog kennel and run. There is a tarmac turning area around a large decorative fountain and an open fronted triple garage. The former walled vegetable garden is currently mainly laid to lawn with some soft fruit and apple trees. There are two stone and wood storage potting sheds and to one side is an avenue of mature trees running up what was the original coach road to the house.
Pasture: Parkland pasture extending to about 13.60 acres extends to the south and west of the property. The land offers good grazing, ideal for those with horses and/or farm stock.
Woodland: Rake Wood, a mature mixed woodland, fronts Rakes Lane and extends to approximately 9.17 acres. There is another small parcel of woodland is located to the north of the lane and extends to 1.11 acres. A further small area of woodland extending to approximately
0.37 acres is located opposite the drive to Middleton Hall.
The Coach House: Is accessed up the rear tarmac drive leading to an attractive Grade II stone built property which is arranged as follows:
Ground floor: Large triple garage with corner floor mounted oil-fired boiler for flat above. There is good sized tack room with water and electricity, adjacent are two good sized stables.
First floor: An excellent flat which our client let's as a successful holiday let. Large entrance hall with plumbing for washer and dryer, sitting/dining room with open plan kitchen with fitted wall and base units, electric cooker, hob and extractor fan over, integral fridge and stainless steel sink unit.
To the rear of the coach house is a small stone store and an access into a large, walled garden/orchard, approximately 0.74 acres, roughly mown and with a good number of fruiting trees.
Outbuildings: West of the Hall at the top of the parkland there are two substantial modern buildings. One has stabling for four horses and space for more and the other is useful hay and farm implement storage. They both have tarmac access one onto Whitfield Lane at the rear. There is a further substantial modern building closer to the house which is used for the storage of the larger garden machinery and which has a tarmac drive running down to the rear house driveway.
The Hall: Reception hall; drawing room; dining room; sitting room; kitchen/breakfast room; billiard room; study; large utility/boot room; cloakroom; master bedroom and en suite bathroom; guest bedroom suite with bedroom, lobby and shower room; six further bedrooms; 2 further bathrooms; attic rooms; cellars; self-contained two bedroom flat comprising: sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms and bathroom.
The Coach House: Triple garage; tack room; two stables with self-contained flat above comprising: three bedrooms; two bathrooms; sitting/dining room with open plan kitchen; entrance hall/utility.
Mature gardens and grounds; stone flagged patio; walled kitchen garden; triple garage; domestic outbuildings; three modern agricultural buildings; gardens and grounds in all extend to approximately 31.4 acres; further land is available by separate negotiation.
The house was built in 1824 by the Bateman family and was described by Bulmer in 1895 as a 'substantial castellated building', the Bateman line can be traced in Middleton from the early thirteenth century to the death, without issue, of Thomas William in 1895. It was sold in 1913 to the Waterhouse family who added the billiard room in 1939 in a matching style. During the Waterhouse tenure, the visitor's book read like who's who with a wide array of notable guests including various members of the Royal Family who sought solace there. Our clients acquired the property in 2004 and undertook a major refurbishment of the house and buildings to bring them to the level seen today, restoration was carried out with the help of the original plans which were discovered in the cellars.
Middleton Hall is situated on the edge of this peaceful conservation village in the heart of the Peak District National Park with its wide array of outdoor pursuits including walking, cycling, climbing and fishing on the nearby Rivers Lathkill, Wye, Dove and Derwent. The house also has easy access to many fine cultural attractions including Chatsworth, Haddon Hall and many more. Close by is the larger village of Youlgrave with its good local shop, public houses, church and sports field. It is within a short drive of the market town of Bakewell with its excellent local amenities. The larger spa town of Buxton with its more extensive shopping, recreational and transport facilities including trains to Manchester is also within an easy drive. The larger conurbations of Sheffield, Chesterfield and Derby within reach thus offering good amenities including trains to London from Derby from 1 hr 23 mins.