A fine Grade II listed hall set in beautiful gardens and with pasture land extending to approx. 50 acres in a quiet rural location.
A pair of ashlar stone gatepiers in the classical style having prominent caps with balls, set over a glyphic frieze and with fine wrought iron 'Bakewell' gates opening onto a gravelled driveway flanked by mature trees sweeping around past lawns to the front of the house. A rear driveway off leads to a tiled courtyard with garaging for three cars, stables and a tack room.
The house has been very well maintained and has many period features including ceiling mouldings, beamed ceilings, magnificent open fireplaces and working shutters.
Ground floor: The front door opens into a large, half panelled reception hall with an imposing fireplace with open grate and oak floor which leads through to an inner hall with a large cloakroom off and a sweeping staircase to the first floor. The drawing room off the hall is dual aspect with a wide bay window overlooking the gardens and parkland beyond, there is a carved Italian marble fireplace with open grate. A second sitting room known as 'the smoke room' also overlooking the gardens has a carved Adam wood fireplace with open grate. Off the inner hall is a large cloakroom with wc. Also off the inner hall is a charming morning room with stone fireplace. An inner hall leads to the half panelled dining room which is of vast proportions with a good high ceiling, an impressive ornately carved wood fire surround and window with views down towards the tennis court. To the rear of the house is the kitchen with oil fired Aga, scullery, butlers pantry, utility room and a further maids sitting room.
First floor: Large landing with steps up to the master bedroom suite with double bedroom with tower boudoir off, a large en suite bathroom with separate shower and steps from the bedroom up to a large dressing room, formerly a double bedroom. Beyond this is a large dressing rooms with a good range of hand crafted, fitted wardrobes, this was also formerly a double bedroom. A further double bedroom off the main landing. The rear landing gives access to three further double bedrooms and a family bathroom, there is a walk in store room and steps up to an attic room.
The wing: Can be accessed either from the first floor rear landing or a ground floor room with door to the outside and steps up into the dining room. There is a kitchen/breakfast room, sitting room, two double bedrooms and a full bathroom.
Outside: The rear tiled courtyard gives access to a double garage and single garage each spacious enough for a large car. There is a stable with two stalls and an adjacent tack room. Tucked away in the garden is a substantial machine store shed and further storage sheds/stables. To the front left of the house is an ornate pond with water feature. The gardens are mainly laid to wonderful sweeping lawns with a Ha-Ha to the front overlooking parkland. At the end of the garden is an en-tout-cas hard tennis court, a grass tennis court and a garden pavilion.
SERVICES Mains water and electricity are all connected. Drainage is into the mains. Oil fired central heating. Two reservoirs for the house.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS Fitted carpets, standard fixtures and fittings are included in the sale.Any fixtures and fittings not mentioned in this brochure may be available by separate negotiation.
COUNCIL TAX: POSTCODE: DE56 2SD
DIRECTIONSFrom Wirksworth take the B5023 towards Belper and Duffield passing through the village of Idridgehay, after 4.1 miles turn right onto Hillcliffe Lane and immediately right onto New Road following the road into Ireton Wood and the Hall will be found on the left hand side.
IMPORTANT NOTICECaudwell & Co give notice that: These details have been prepared in good faith however they are not intended to constitute part of an offer of contract and should be used as a guide only. Any information contained herein whether in the text, plans or photographs should not be relied upon as being a statement or representation of fact. No person in Caudwell & Co has any authority to make or give representation or warranty on any property. Any measurement or distance referred to herein is approximate only.
VIEWINGAll viewing is to be strictly by appointment with Edward Caudwell of Caudwell & Co on 01629 810018 or 07766 565 893
ACCOMMODATION: Large entrance hall; drawing room; sitting room/smoke room; morning room; inner staircase hall; dining room; kitchen; back kitchen; sitting room; master bedroom with large dressing room/bedroom and en suite bathroom; four further bedrooms; family bathroom; wing comprising: two double bedrooms; bathroom; sitting room; dining room; kitchen.
AMENITIES: Utility room; cellars; large walk-in store; stabling for two; tack room; garaging for three cars; extensive parking; large machine garage; further outbuildings/stores. Lovely mature gardens; pond; woodland, grazing land and amenity land. Further cottages and farmhouses available by separate negotiation.
The forerunner to the present house was circa 1630 when it was the seat of Thomas Catesby who's forebear had been a leading conspirator in the Gunpowder Plot, His widow, Elizabeth, was still living there in 1670 seven years after her husbands death. In the eighteenth century the house was let to the Alsops, the last of whom to live there was Robert Alsop in 1829. Not long after that the house was purchased by Frederick Richard Leacroft who mainly built the current house in around 1865. To the very modest l-shaped seventeenth century house, probably built by Catesby, hew added a two storey brick range of three bays, the entrance front having a two storey porch with Ashlar four centred arched entrance. The gable to the left has an octagonal two-storey tall tower with a tall spire. The Leacroft family initially let and subsequently sold the hall to Norman Hugh Swingler who it appears found the house too small and a demolished most of the remaining seventeenth century work, replacing it with a large extension in red brick behind Leacroft's range. A service wing was also added to the north-east by Swingler.
SITUATION:Ireton Wood Hall is situated a short drive from the village of Idridgehay with its shop, church and public house. The thriving market town of Ashbourne (7 miles) and City of Derby (10 miles) are within an easy drive with their wide range of shopping, transport and recreational facilities including mainline trains from Derby to St Pancras from 1 hour 32 minutes. East Midlands airport is 24 miles away and the city of Nottingham also 24 miles away.
Local schools include: Ecclesbourne School, Derby Grammar school, S Anselms, Bakewell and Foremarke Hall preparatory schools, Repton and Denstone public schools all within driving distance.