A 1 bedroom detached house in Stoney Middleton, Hope Valley, Derbyshire with .
The house is approached down a long gravelled drive passing the gardens to the right and the coach house to the left. The entrance lobby opens into a large double height reception hall with an imposing stone fireplace and wide oak staircase leading to the first floor. The house is currently arranged with a wing offering independent accommodation which can easily be incorporated back into the house by means of merely opening a couple of doors. To the front of the house is a wonderful dual aspect double drawing room with two working fireplaces and doors opening out onto the listed terrace which is believed to date from 1830. Also to the front is a second sitting room which is currently used as a dining room. The main house dining room, which has a stone flagged floor and looks towards St Martin’s church currently forms part of the annexe and is adjacent to the large kitchen/breakfast room with its range of modern units flanking the gas fired AGA and windows affording lovely views up towards Froggatt Edge. To the first floor is the main bedroom and bathroom suite, five further double bedrooms and two further bathrooms. The gardens are mainly laid to lawn with seasonal bulbs and feature some fine, mature specimen trees including beech, oak, tulip, cucumber and fossil trees amongst others, a stream runs through the middle of the garden upon which there are fishing rights.
The house has twin straight coped gables, a recessed centre, symmetrical and dates originally from c.1600. However, it was much altered in the late Regency period by its then new owner, Lord Chief Justice Denman, who had ‘altered the road and very much improved and beautified the house and grounds and considerably extended his park’. Whilst the house has probably always been an H-shape with twin gables, alterations of a fairly drastic nature in the 1660’s regularized it with paired superimposed six light mullioned and transomed windows under each rebuilt gable, with two narrow bays flanking the segmental headed entrance with an armorial plaque over a top parapet, it has much in common with Bagshaw Hall at Bakewell and may well have been the work of the same mason. More recently a servant’s wing, which encroached into the churchyard, was demolished in around 1970. The present house was built by Robert Aston (1610-1687) of Stoney Middleton, Hathersage, Over Padley and Bradway, probably to co-incide with his High Shrievality of 1664, and it passed from his second son of the same name to a branch of the Fynneys of Cheddelton before 1700. Ashton paid tax on seven hearths in 1670. Richard Fynney died c. 1790 leaving no legitimate male issue, but a daughter and heiress Elizabeth, who married Joseph Denman of Bakewell, who converted the house into a parsonage. On his death he left the house to his nephew Thomas, the celebrated Lord Chief Justice, Thomas’s father had been educated at the nearby Bakewell Grammar school but had left the county to pursue a career as Apothecary to St George’s Hospital, London. In 1820 he modernised the house in the contemporary Romantic style, he bought more land and thus created a five acre garden complete with a 100 yard long terrace with stone staircases and late Georgian stone carved vases. He also converted a farm building into the carriage house and a number of cottages into stabling. The second Lord Denman was reclusive and known for breeding black pigs, the third Lord Denman was Governor General of Australia. The Denman family sold the house in 1953 to a steel fabrication company who bought it as a factory site, this, not surprisingly, proved controversial and the house lay dormant for twenty five years. Our clients acquired the house in 1977 and undertook a large restoration programme to improve the house.
Sweeping driveway to the front and side of the hall; extensive gardens of approximately 4.5 acres; stream with fishing rights; parkland extending to approximately 13.5 acres; large yard to the front of the cottages providing extensive parking and potential gardens; further patio and terrace to the front and side of the coach house.
Large reception hall; double drawing room; dining room; sitting room; kitchen/breakfast room; second kitchen; master bedroom with en suite bathroom; five further bedrooms; two further bathrooms; cloakroom; cellars.
The Coach House
Situated adjacent to the hall this has until recently been used as a nursery school although our clients have now re-applied for a full residential consent and it will be sold with vacant possession. Adjoining the coach house is a large store room which, subject to planning consent could be incorporated into the property to provide a useful extra room.
Accommodation: Four bedrooms; two bathrooms; sitting room; dining room; kitchen.
The Stables Cottage
Currently let on an assured shorthold tenancy. However our clients would be willing to serve notice should vacant possession be required.
Accommodation: Sitting room; large kitchen/breakfast room; four bedrooms; two bathrooms (one en suite). COUNCIL TAX: Band F
The Coachman’s Cottage
Currently let on an assured shorthold tenancy. However our clients would be prepared to serve notice should vacant possession be required.
Accommodation: Sitting room; kitchen/breakfast room; three bedrooms; bathroom; shower room (en suite). COUNCIL TAX: Band E
Further un-modernised cottage, currently used for storage, with great potential (subject to planning).
Planning consent for a substantial modern farm building.