Enquire about Belmont Hall
A 7 bedroom impressive Grade II listed period house near Ipstones, Staffordshire, with integral 2 bedroom annex and grounds to approximately 13.7 acres.
An impressive Grade II listed period house presented in good order throughout dating from the eighteenth century set within a secluded location on the edge of the Peak District National Park between the Manifold and Churnet Valleys.
House - Staffordshire
An opportunity to acquire a most attractive, white stucco, period house which is presented in very good order throughout. The house is constructed of coursed sandstone and brick under a hipped tiled roof and is situated within an area of outstanding natural beauty and ‘special scientific interest’. It is approached off a tranquil country lane which runs between Ipstones and the hamlet of Basford. A private tarmac drive threads its way through an RSPB nature reserve woodland to an impressive pair of gates and eventually onto the main driveway leading to the front portico.
Ground floor: The entrance portico leads to the front door and into a large entrance hall which in turn opens into all of the principal entertaining rooms. The drawing room is a magnificent room with good high ceilings, period mouldings, attractive wooden floors, a large working fireplace with marble surround and windows facing south over the gardens. The sitting room, which also faces south, has a working fireplace. The dining room is a most unusual oval shape with a complete wall of curved, glass fronted cupboards. An inner hall gives access to the kitchen, a large cellar and a cloakroom. The recently fitted Martin Moore kitchen/breakfast room with slate floor has an excellent range of wall and base units with granite work surfaces incorporating a twin Belfast sink unit, a large ‘larder cupboard’ to one wall with large double built in fridge with freezer below, an oil fired four oven ‘AGA’ and windows overlooking the side garden. A door to one side of the kitchen leads to a small sitting room and to the other side is access into a further hall, the utility room and the annexe.
First floor: An impressive staircase with glass cupola over leads to the first floor. The master bedroom faces south over the garden and has a large dressing area to one end. The principal guest bedroom has full length doors into an en suite bathroom; a second guest bedroom has an en suite shower room, there are two further double bedrooms, a newly fitted principal shower/wet room and a family shower room. A further staircase leads to:
Second floor: Large landing/office area; office/double bedroom with wood burning stove and views over the garden; an iron staircase leads up to a further double bedroom, currently used for storage. There is scope within this area to put in further bathroom facilities.
Annexe: To the ground floor is a large laundry room, a guest W.C., a workshop, access to the integral garage and door out to a utility room, a further door leads to the side garden.
To the first floor is a good sized sitting room, two double bedrooms, a bathroom and a well fitted kitchen.
Grounds and gardens: The main driveway is flanked by mature hedging and sweeps up through the grounds leading ultimately to a gravelled area to the front of the house which is flanked by a large flat, west facing lawn with to one side a bank planted with rhododendrons. A large south facing, stone flagged terrace with a low wall gives access to the main lawns which run down past the tennis court to a large Beech Hedge. To the left of the drive is a large area of pasture land.
Entrance hall; drawing room; sitting room/study; dining room; kitchen/breakfast room; small sitting room; six/seven bedrooms; four bath/shower rooms (two en suite); office/bedroom seven; annexe comprising kitchen, sitting room, two bedrooms, bathroom, workshop, laundry room and cloakroom.
Grounds in all extending to approximately 13.7 acres comprising: extensive gardens laid mainly to lawn; vegetable garden; woodland; pasture land; large single garage; driveway leading to two areas of gravelled hard standing for a good number of vehicles
The village of Ipstones is close by and has a corner shop, three public houses, a primary school, a local butcher, a village store with Post Office, has won the Best Kept Village award within the recent past and is located between the market towns of Leek and Ashbourne. The larger conurbations of Derby, Stoke, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield and Leicester are within reach as are the International Airports of Manchester and East Midlands.
The initial construction of Belmont Hall was by John Sneyd of Keele and commenced around 1760 with the mansion house being completed circa 1770. The house was to be the main house on the family’s 2,000 acre estate until Ashcombe Park was built in the 19th century. The junior sons of the family lived at Belmont until it was eventually sold out of the family in 1913 and the estate divided.
- 6+ bed
- 1 Parking Spaces
- No. of Garages